The Trump administration cut more than 500 additional jobs at Voice of America, delivering what could be a fatal blow to the U.S. government-sponsored media outlet that has been repeatedly hit by funding cuts.
Over vehement objections from Democrats, Kari Lake, acting CEO of VOA’s parent company, the U.S. Agency for Global Media, announced the layoffs on Friday in a social media post, The Washington Times reported.
“We are conducting this (reduction in force) at the President’s direction to help reduce the federal bureaucracy, improve agency service and save the American people more of their hard-earned money,” Lake wrote.
“USAGM will continue to fulfill its statutory mission after this RIF — and will likely improve its ability to function and provide the truth to people across the world who live under murderous communist governments and other tyrannical regimes,” she added.
Lake said 532 full-time VOA positions were eliminated.
“I look forward to taking additional steps in the coming months to improve the functioning of a very broken agency and make sure America’s voice is heard abroad where it matters most,” Lake said.
The cuts are the latest chapter in VOA’s unraveling. The outlet, created during World War II to combat Nazi propaganda, has long served as a platform for U.S. news in parts of the world where a free press is scarce.
But the Trump administration has said the outlet had become a shell of its former self and mostly now serves as another outlet for left-wing propaganda.
In March, nearly all VOA staffers were placed on administrative leave after President Trump issued an executive order dismantling the USAGM. Since then, most of VOA’s publishing channels have been dormant.
Six hundred contractors were let go in May, and hundreds more employees received termination notices in June. Some of those notices were later temporarily rescinded, but Lake, who worked as a journalist in the Phoenix area for decades, had signaled that additional reductions were coming.
Friday’s move appears to complete that process.
The announcement came one day after a federal judge blocked the removal of VOA director Michael Abramowitz. U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth ruled Abramowitz could only be removed with the approval of the International Broadcasting Advisory Board.
Employees who have sued to stop the job cuts said the latest firings violate federal law requiring congressional approval.
“We find Lake’s continued attacks on our agency abhorrent,” they said in a statement. “We are looking forward to her deposition to hear whether her plan to dismantle VOA was done with the rigorous review process that Congress requires. So far, we have not seen any evidence of that.”
A longtime Voice of America employee was arrested in July, accused of threatening to kill Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, along with her staff and their families, including a call in which he allegedly vowed to shoot the congresswoman “between the eyes” with an AK-47.
According to the Justice Department, 64-year-old Seth Jason of Edgewater, Maryland, made at least eight threatening phone calls from the government-funded broadcaster between October 2023 and January 2024, the New York Post reported.
“I’m looking forward to your book signing. We are all armed and ready to take care of you,” Jason said in one message for the Georgia Republican lawmaker, federal prosecutors say.
“We’re coming after you and your staff, and we are locked and loaded. We’re going to take you all out,” the call continued. “We’ve got our AK-47s. You’re going to get one between the eyes. Bam, bam, bam.”
The calls “were made from various phone lines connected to studios and control rooms at Voice of America headquarters,” prosecutors added.
Jason was taken into custody by U.S. Capitol Police in coordination with the Anne Arundel County Police Department, where he had served as a volunteer reserve officer since 2016, The Post noted further.